Nowadays when building constructions mostly are tending to use glass products as curtain walls or windows or railings, laminated safety glass is one of the best choices when you are considering since the designing phase. In this article, we will discuss what is laminated safety glass and why you should use it.
1, What is laminated safety glass?
Laminated safety glass is combining two or pieces of glass panels with an interlayer PVB or SGP or EVA inside. It is like a sandwich configuration. Sometimes the glass panels are tempered, sometimes it is heat strengthened or just annealed. No matter what kinds of glass, when it is produced as laminated glass, it is safety glass.
When single panel glass(no matter tempered or not) breaks, it will shatter into small pieces and spread away.
2, Why you should use laminated safety glass?
Benefits of laminated safety glass simply lay on:
- High strength & safety: Laminated tempered glass offers a higher strength than normal annealed glass or tempered glass. It can endure very high impact or wind load without breaking, even broken, the broken pieces will stick together in the interlayer;
- Soundproofing: Laminated safety glass provide extra soundproofing function. For 6+1.52PVB +6 configuration, it will offer a 37dB sound reduction.
- UV protection: Another important property is that laminated safety glass provides UV radiation protection. It will assure you a health and safe environment. And protect the furniture from fading from solar radiation.
3, How is laminated safety glass made?
There are two kinds of laminated safety glass– laminated annealed glass or laminated tempered glass. For laminated tempered glass, the production process as below:
- Cut the raw float glass subject to your final sizes;
- Do the matt polished or finely polished edgework for the glass;
- If there are any holes in the glass products, drill the hole according to the drawings;
- Send the glass to tempering machine, heating to over 650 degrees and cool down rapidly for tempering;
- Transfer the tempered glass to the laminating line, after high temperature and high pressure for over 4 hours in the autoclave. The lamination for laminated tempered glass will be permanently joined together.
As the process picture shows here:
The laminated annealed glass simply passes the tempering process.
4, Laminated safety glass vs toughened glass
Most people will ask this question: laminated safety glass vs toughened glass, which one shall I choose?
To answer this question, you should first know the difference between laminated safety glass vs toughened glass. As just mentioned above, laminated safety glass can offer much higher safety than single toughened glass.
In many countries, there are rules that glass applications above 10 meters or higher, should use tempered laminated glass for windows instead of single toughened glass. So, for higher-rise buildings or soundproofing consideration, laminated safety glass will be more appropriate.
For a simple deck railing or staircase, 10mm or 12mm toughened glass will be safe enough and economic. Low-rise buildings windows can adopt 6mm toughened glass for cost-saving consideration, etc.
If you are still confused with laminated safety glass vs toughened glass, please feel free to contact laminated safety glass suppliers: Shenzhen Dragon Glass.
5, PVB laminated glass vs SGP laminated glass
When choosing a laminated glass product, one inescapable discussion would be about: What is the difference for pvb laminated glass VS sgp laminated glass?
To answer this question, first, you should know what is SGP laminated glass, SGP is short for Sentryglas, which is a famous subordinate branch from Kuraray. According to Kuraray, Sentryglas was initially developed for hurricane glass glazing applications. Made using ionoplast polymer technology, SentryGlas is chemically different from PVB, making it water-resistant, clearer, and stronger. Comparing to the PVB interlayer, the SentryGlas interlayer is five times stronger and up to 100 times stiffer. For pvb laminated glass, when both glass panels are broken, it will collapse, whereas, for sgp laminated glass, the SGP interlayer will hold the glass together and standstill. Thus ensuring higher safety.
Here is a video that can show clearly the difference between pvb laminated glass VS sgp laminated glass:
But even though sgp laminated glass is higher strength than normal pvb laminated glass, it does not mean that sgp laminated glass is the perfect choice for you. The option will depend on the applications and your budget. If you are not quite sure about how to choose between sgp laminated glass or pvb laminated glass, please feel free to contact us, we can help you find the best solution.
6, Shenzhen Dragon Glass laminated safety glass specifications:
- Product name: Laminated safety glass;
- Glass colors: Clear, ultra clear, blue, green, bronze, grey, etc;
- Glass thickness: 5+5mm; 6+6mm; 8+8mm; 10+10mm, 12+12mm,etc
- 5+5+5mm, 6+6+6mm, 8+8+8mm, etc
- PVB colors: Blue, green, grey, yellow, red, orange, purple, etc;
- Glass shape: Flat/curved;
- Interlayer material: EVA/PVB/SGP;
- PVB laminated glass types: Clear pvb laminated glass; tinted pvb laminated glass; low iron pvb laminated glass; colored pvb laminated glass; coated pvb laminated glass; ceramic frit pvb laminated glass; heat soaked test pvb laminated glass; digital printing pvb laminated glass; heat strengthened pvb laminated glass; frosted pvb laminated glass; milky white pvb laminated glass; translucent pvb laminated glass; large size pvb laminated glass; etc;
- SGP laminated glass types: Clear sgp laminated glass; tinted sgp laminated glass; low iron sgp laminated glass; coated sgp laminated glass; ceramic frit sgp laminated glass; heat soaked test sgp laminated glass; digital printing sgp laminated glass; heat strengthened sgp laminated glass; frosted sgp laminated glass; jumbo size sgp laminated glass; etc;
- Applications: Facade, windows, doors, railings, floors, stairs, partition walls, shower rooms, glass elevators, etc;
- Functions: Soundproofing, decoration, impact resistance;
- Certifications: CE/SGCC/ISO9001/CCC/BS, etc;
- Max size: 3200*12000mm;
- Capacity: 3000SQM/day.
7, How much is laminated glass price?
The factors influence the laminated glass price are:
- Glass size: the oversize glass will add extra cost to laminated glass price;
- Glass thickness: as we know, the thicker of the glass, the safer, but laminated glass price also raise;
- Interlayer material: Whether you use EVA or PVB or SGP, it will influence the laminated glass price dramatically;
- Interlayer thickness: it will subject to your glass size and usage, generally speaking, the larger size, the thicker of the interlayer, so as the laminated glass price.
- Quantity: as we know, the larger quantity will share the fixed cost and so the laminated glass price will be lower.
If you need accurate pricing for your project, Welcome to Getting Free Quote Now!